Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Hello My Name Is...

     These few words have propelled many of us into relationships, friendships, and twists of life and fate.  When we introduce ourselves to someone, we take a chance.  We believe that there is merit in getting to know the person we are speaking to.  At the same time, we may or may not believe that we are worth getting to know.
     What is it that causes us to doubt ourselves?  Why do we feel inadequate and undesirable?  We would never say to a young child the things that we often think to ourselves.  We wouldn't tell them, "You'll never make it."  "No one likes you."  "You're not good enough."
     When we first introduce ourselves, how do we do it?  We want to market ourselves and seem as appealing as we can be.  We want to say, "Hey, I'm worth getting to know!"  Even if we don't believe it ourselves.
     A few weeks ago, my youth pastor asked us a question "What defines you?"  Is is your family, your friends, sports, achievements, humor?  If you took everything else away, what would remain?  How would others describe you?


     I pondered over this, and I came up with a definite answer.  I am not defined.  I certainly have core values, traits, and interests, but there is not one thing that defines me.  Like everyone else, I am a complicated being.  Faith, experiences, love, trials, and characteristics shape who I am.  I am an individual, created uniquely to live a one-of-a-kind life.
     Sometimes, we doubt our individuality and the creativity it took for the Lord to make us.  We don't allow Him to work through us because of our own self-pity.  I am alive, God loves me, and God has blessed me.  God is to be my definition.  He is the only One that can wrap every part of me into one.  Why?  Because He created me, He loves me, and He has saved me.
     Because of this, we can be confident in who we are.  Not everyone will love us or even like us, but God loves us and that is enough.  

     Sometimes, it can be intimidating to introduce ourselves to someone new, and oftentimes, very awkward.  We are setting ourselves up to be judged.  They call it a first impression for a reason.  That first time that someone meets you is what they will base their opinion of you on.  That's kind of scary.
     One time, I was in a class and the teacher asked us to turn to another person and tell them our name, where we were from, and our grade.  Awkward right?  So I turned to one girl and she was really friendly, but then I turned to another boy, repeated the required information, and waited for him to respond.  But he didn't.  He just nodded his head and raised his eyebrows, acknowledging the fact that he had heard what I had said, but didn't care enough to respond.
     Here he had completely disregarded me, and oddly, I didn't really care.  It didn't matter.  I was rejected, but it wasn't the end of the world.  I knew who I was as a person, so what did it matter if this guy didn't care enough to give me the time of day.  I am secure in who I am, because God is my definition.
     Be confident in who you are, and don't be afraid to take a chance.  You never know what might happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments, critiques, suggestions, and general chit-chat. Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts.